Monday, April 9, 2012

The Vicious Kind

Note: This is the poem I wrote for the literary magazine 'The Catalyst' at Sky View High School. Keep in mind, I am not a poet, nor do I usually write poems. But once in a while, if the emotions demand it, I find there is no other way to satisfy my thirst.


There’s that vicious kind of love
Where all you can do is hurt yourself
You’ve grown so use to indulging the other
You’ve forgotten the pleasures of self indulgence
And as the Earth turns,
People progress
Life changes
But you remain, constantly immovable
We all see your internal bleeding
Your love
It domineers your psyche
Tells you how to suffer
Is love worth the bruises?
You’re covered in lies and rumors
Your love speaks of fidelity as casually as acquaintance
And yet you fail to see anything but perfection in the most
imperfect being
If your love is all love, I don’t want it
I’ve been born anew from your ashes
Like some prodigal phoenix
I fly above it all
The sky turns to horizon as the hopes of freedom uncover the
truth I hid my eyes from
You aren’t the one I want to waste my summers with
You’re far too fragile
Love has dug its claws deep inside you
And stripped you
Bare crimson flesh on display
For all the world’s fast moving fliers to see
Maybe I’ll swoop in someday
I’ll hope to see you happy
I’ll hope that love hasn’t ripped you completely to shreds
I hope, in a mass of your own blood stained feathers, you’ll
rise above it
You’ll fly
A wing span too wide to fathom
An angel without cause
You’ll receive what your pure heart deserves most
But until then, I can’t worry for you
My days are far too open
Far too free
And I can’t be dragged down
By your woes of love lost and love anew
Your kind of love is blind
If it saw what it had, it wouldn’t speak so ill of you
But your love is vicious
That vicious kind of hope
False and absent

1 comment:

Tacie Hyer said...

Basically this is amazing and you are amazing. I love you and your amazing way of expressing things. You're the best