Thursday, May 3, 2012

When the Mama Bear Comes Out

To be frank, I've become a fairly socially capable person as I've grown up. I pride myself in being able to talk to and tolerate most kinds of people. I can endure most kinds of personalities and, to be honest, I have an incredibly diverse group of people that I call my close friends. I enjoy it very much. However, with a large number of friends comes a lot a people to keep tabs on. I don't mind this. I think caring for a fair amount of people keeps your own self involvement in check. If you are involved in other's lives, you won't be so wrapped up in yourself. That brings me to my topic this week.

As I move towards my last days of high school (thank the deities above), I would like to take a short moment to complain about one thing that has been bothering me lately. I'm not usually an incredibly whiny person (hahaha people who know me really well just peed from the laughter), but something has been eating away at my smaller than average brain. I, my friends, have discovered a new pet peeve.  I've never had this problem before, but I'm finding it to be increasingly distracting.

If you mess with someone I love, lately, I've been getting incredibly defensive of them. For evidence that this is becoming a common occurence in my own life, I offer the following examples:

Example #1: A Kiss With a Fist Is Better Than None

We all have one in our own lives. We're all friends with that couple we all know should have broken up about two years ago, even if they've only been dating for a few days or weeks. Peeps, do your friends a favor. If one of you or both of you are friends with someone, don't complain to them about your relationship. Also, if you are friends with your significant other's close friends on some sort of online social media, do not complain about them in your status or pins or what have you. It pisses them off. It makes them want to cut you, Diva style. It also shows an incredible lack of class. Complaining about a relationship where everyone can see it is about as classy as Lindsay Lohan. Have you seen her teeth lately?

Example #2: You Know You Hate Me, XOXO

I always enjoy when people pride themselves in knowing my life better than I do. It's always the cherry on top of a perfect day when you learn things you didn't even know were happening in your own life from someone who has apparently been talking about the supposed event for days. Oh yes, my friends. The Gossip. Now don't get me wrong, I love my own share of gossip. It's what I live for. Put me in a headband and I'm Gossip Girl's Blair Waldorf. And I've had my fair share of rumors about me spread (surprise to the tea party, I know). But when someone decides to spread a rumor about not only me, but a friend of mine that they don't even know, that's when the claws are coming out. And if you want to throw down, make sure you're intimidating. I'm not a fighter, but when I'm more physically imposing and we're of equal masculinity (not much), don't test me.

Example #3: Make Out Kids Never Had a Chance to Be Best Friends

This is the less incriminating example. I don't think this one will offend people, as much. If you are a good friend of mine, and you come to be in a successful relationship that makes you truly happy, I'm not going to judge. I'll be happy for you. I'm pretty nonjudgmental. But when you are close friends with both halves of a couple, it's difficult at times. If one of you isn't commiting as much as the other, tell your significant other. Don't tell your mutual friends. It puts them in an incredibly awkward position. If one of my girlfriends told me that she wanted to marry my guy friend, but he expresses that he's attracted to someone besides her, what kind of position does that put me in? Especially in high school. True love is an attractive myth that I highly doubt one can find in high school. I realize that sounds so cynical, but I've seen it happen. And while two of my siblings are, in fact, happily married to their high school sweethearts (with babies), that's almost never how it works out. Just keep your problems between the two of you, or designate friends who aren't involved in your significant other's daily lives as well as yours.

When I love someone, I'll do anything to keep them happy. If they care about me, I feel obliged to show that I care about them just as much. So if you want to stay on my good side, make them happy too, capiche?! If not, Diva el Zorro might appear at your door and snap in a Z formation.

P.S. Diva El Zorro is me.