Monday, June 11, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls, But Does It Rock?

At times, I sincerely hope that my blog won't become a forum where I simply vent all my stresses and problems to the general public. I've never found that entertaining. A post like that once in a while is fine, I suppose, but I'd rather not use this blog like the door of a toilet stall in a high school girl's bathroom (I've never seen one, I've just heard stories). If, somehow, my words become too negative or sound far too melancholy to not be exaggerated, please let me know. And now, onto the topics of the week.

As of lately, it seems Facebook has been ablaze with discussion over a controversial blog post by a homosexual man who is also faithfully LDS and raising kids with his, gasp, wife of ten years. I was sent a link to this post by a dear friend who, as luck would have it, happens to be one of the most NON judgmental people I know. Naturally, as my circumstances are somewhat similar (and by that, I totally mean I've been married for ten years and I have two kids *nudge* *nudge*), I was interested. I'm sure many of you have read it. Not so surprisingly, it's incredibly eye opening. This man and his wife have lived happily together with the knowledge that he was, in fact, born as gay as the day is long (the days are even longer in June, just saying). I would like to offer my condolences to this man, not that he will ever read this. I can't imagine how much strength that must have taken him to admit. Also, if you live under a rock and you haven't read the article), I'll put a link at the end of my blog. It's been pressing on my mind since I read it and, while thinking of how I would give my opinion in a semi-professional way, I remembered that I have a blog. OH LOOK AT THAT! CRAZY!

The past few months, I've noticed how much more supportive the country as a whole has become in favor of Civil Rights. We're moving towards a more accepting society, rather than stepping backward like our butter churning forefathers. Now, I'm not a whore for controversy, but my ONLY problem with the progression of our nation is once teency...tiny...baby thing. Just a little thing...OH MY WORD PEOPLE! Okay, while I get that the LDS church isn't necessarily promoting the lifestyle of the nation's LGBTQ community, but it's not the only establishment of people against it. If those of us who support Civil Rights begin antagonizing those of us who also believe in some form of a higher power, I see that as incredibly hypocritical.

I realize that, yes, we shouldn't judge the LGBTQ community (I know, everyone is SO shocked I support civil rights). But really, we shouldn't scorn those people who participate in religion as Conservative Morons and Unaccepting, Right Wing pinheads. Pointing fingers for the sake of pointing fingers should be saved for pointing out that someone has food in their teeth, not blaming an entire religion (or state) for general homophobia. If someone is homophobic, its their problem. It's crazy, but you don't have to talk to them or try to change their opinion. If you have any sort of difference from a typical straight, white person, claiming that everyone is against you only makes them want to be against you. And this isn't just toward homophobia. Racism, sexism, ageism. I understand that there are degenerate morons who still feel that way towards those specific populations, but if one simply claims that the entire civilization feels that way, if makes you seem uneducated and, frankly, kind of pathetic. Almost all of the time, if someone doesn't like you, they feel that way because you are annoying. Nothing more than that.

On a lighter note, IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER THAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING?! I prepared a batch of Ina Garten's cream cheese frosting for a tray of homemade cinnamon rolls (I know, foodgasm) and, honest to Zeus, I could eat the entire bowl. With my mouth.

And, to close, here's the link to that blog. It's long, but you can read. So read it.
http://www.joshweed.com/2012/06/club-unicorn-in-which-i-come-out-of.html?spref=fb



No comments: