Sunday, July 22, 2012

If You Want to Do the People a Favor

In pure, blunt honesty, there's nothing more abhorrent than hearing a friend gripe about their love life for hours on end. Once in a while, perhaps a month or so between venting sessions, I think would be the appropriate time span. Are the dog days of summer worth wasting on someone else? I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I've spent the past month and a half considering every variable, running every moment with a person, trying to come to some sort of cohesive outcome. Perhaps this is it? Or perhaps its a Sunday and I simply have nothing better to do. But the thought has run through my head multiple times.

When I find someone I'm interested in romantically (which seldom ever happens), I'm rather hesitant to pursue it. I guess it could be the numerous years of torturous existence (guys, this is sarcasm) or my wish to avoid any sort of conflict in my life. Having romance for the sake of having romance seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day, if someone doesn't seem right for you, they aren't right for you. If you've spent hours griping about them to yourself or others, they aren't right for you. To quote Chloe Moretz in 500 Days of Summer, "Just because she likes the same bizzaro crap you do doesn’t mean she’s your soul mate."  And isn't that the truth? Of course we're attracted to those similar to us. A great portion of my friends are just as shrill and gossipy as I am. but romantically? I say try something else for a change.

For example, I'm seldom attracted to people that are homebodies. Surprise to the tea party! I'm a homebody! I'd love to be one of those people who's out every night, doing some sort of crazy activity, leaving things at people's houses, lighting things on fire (I guess I am to a point). But maybe that's who I need in a mate. A person that will do that for me. But then, OH! There's the endless paradox of the universe. We always say we want someone who makes up for all we lack. Is that the right question? Perhaps we need to use the time we'd usually spend griping about romance fixing the problems in question. And what is the problem the majority of the time? Not the other person. You. When someone says, 'It's not you, it's me', it may be them, but it's probably you.

Maybe Michael Jackson was onto something. 'Take a look at yourself and make a change.' There should be no one more important to you in your life than yourself. Keep in mind, I'm speaking exclusively to lovelorn, bedridden teenagers. I can't imagine what a parent must feel about the children. But I digress. If you see a flaw, you change it. You have the amazing power to be your own person, rather than let your feelings for someone else dictate how you spend your days. At the end of the day, you might as well learn to love yourself. You are stuck with you for the rest of your life. I hope you are very happy together.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a romance expert. The closest thing I have to a romantic attachment is my overwhelming love of either Diet Coke, a plate of Nutella Crepes at Village Inn (foodgasm), or Emma Stone. Seriously, the girl can pull off any haircolor. And thigh highs. Granted, she has a worthy rival for my affections in Anne Hathaway. My problems are so real.

1 comment:

Alex Owens said...

Oh my Lanta! you are FANTASTIC!!! I would write more about how amazing this piece of work. I feel obligated to "match" this comment to the quality of THIS writing. But we both know that isn't going to happen. ;) So if you ask why this comment is close to nothing, that is why. You're such a brilliant writer Brock! Keep it up! :)